Friday, January 28, 2011

Salute of the Jugger (1989)


I bought this movie, in a pack of 20 DVDs, for the meagre price of $7 for this movie alone. Imagine some of the slop that rounded out the other 19 films will you? I must admit seeing 'No Retreat, No Surrender' again kept me entertained for an evening. Can't beat some pre-coked-out Van Damme action.
In my early teens I must have seen Jugger at least half a dozen times. Ma forbade me to rent it out for so long but that piece of forbidden fruit with the moulded clenched fists on the cover kept calling me. Finally I wore her down and watched. A post apocalyptic film based around an appallingly violent sport that involves sticking a dogs skull on a stake to win. And it starred Rutger Hauer. Perfect.
Set in a post apocalyptic land where the majority of the population survive in squalid dog-towns, the miserable people's heroes are Juggers, competitors in the ridiculously violent game. Hauer plays Sallow, a veteran of the game who once played in the major league and was exiled for rooting around with the wrong lady. When Sallow's nomadic team of disfigured brawlers arrive in a small town they inflict devastating injury upon the local team's 'quick' and he is replaced by the nimble and delightful Joan Chen. They thrash her and the team and Chen is left in a crumpled, bleeding state of awe. As the team move on Chen tags along and eventually becomes their new quick. Basically a sports movie, you have the cliched ups and downs as the team improve and eventually play in the major league where redemption and glory await the rogue's gallery of characters.



Written and directed by David Peoples I gather this was not an easy shoot and didn't quite pan out to his expectations. For some amusing reading from the film's set check out this article by an extra who grieves the scenes that were cut (which he appeared in.... ha!). Or this article, written by a fellow from the art department who laments the passing of a budding film industry career had his chronic drug abuse not rendered him with the memory of a goldfish. While detailing his own problems he goes on 'David Peoples, was struggling with his first big film, and was immensely depressed'. Poor guy. Although Jugger wasn't warmly received by the critics, other projects he penned were. The guy wrote some terrific stuff, 'BladeRunner' (1982), 'Unforgiven' (1992) and Twelve Monkeys' (1995) plus a few other films I didn't mind 'Lady Hawk' (1985), 'Leviathan' (1989) and 'Accidental Hero' (1992). I gather he's packed the trusty old typewriter away now for retirement in less stressful pastures.
Man, when we were youngsters after watching this we would play it ourselves. I remember packing a variety of hard and soft objects into the end of a football sock and whipping my brother repeatedly while he gouged at my shins attempting to pass me. Appears we weren't the only ones inspired to start our own game. Real life Jugger leagues now exist, precariously I imagine. I don't know who these people are but bless em.


The alternate US title. Crap.


I love this film. It's been about 15 years since my last viewing and holds up to my memory which is fabulous. I would have enjoyed it even if it was my first viewing to be honest, I just love this sort of shit. It's a bonus that it was shot in Australia and features some local extras. Could you imagine a more perfect setting than Coober Peedy? The post apocalypse just works so well down here, I can't wait for it. Despite the cliches, lack of originality and sheer ugliness of everything about it, I have to score this mangy beast highly.
One hundred stones, three times!
4/5

4 comments:

  1. No Mention of Vincent D'Onofrio? I assume he turns out another stellar performance here

    Gee, that guy must have saved money on an agent back in the day and hired a drunk spider monkey to choose his roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'Onofrio is actually quite good as the chain wielding young bloke. Certainly more charismatic than the cop he plays on that tele show. The spider monkey did a good job I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your persistent charm continues to work one would suspect! And to think that your dear mother even got to enjoy some of van Damme's moves! She probably now understands why little brothers suffered mysterious bruises and nightmares...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep you got railroaded into watching a few old Van Damme movies I think. The bro's just needed to pay more attention to the films and bob and weave a bit more. They were getting an education and didn't know it!

    ReplyDelete