Sunday, July 3, 2011

Dogtooth (2009)


For some reason I thought I was about to watch a Nicole Kidman film when I sat down to watch this. Dogville (2003) plus Rabbit Hole (2010) equals Dogtooth in my head apparently. Instead I unexpectedly saw this mad Greek film which was no doubt a far better result for me. Ever wonder what would happen if you secluded children from the rest of society and rearranged normality? Including changing the meaning of words so the children now speak hilarious nonsense? I definitely have. Giorgos Lanthimos has directed a sharp, fascinating, funny and depressing look at a couple and their children, who they are subjecting to this existence. Of course there are going to be unforeseen, shitty results to this sort of lifestyle, especially as the children become teens and adults. Brilliantly acted and well shot, this film was a real surprise to me and is a great example of exciting and challenging cinema. And that's what we want huh?!
4/5


2 comments:

  1. I actually saw half of Dogville once and found it pretty interesting. I'll get to it again some time. This however was the nuts.

    ReplyDelete