Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Social Network (2010)


The Facebook film eh. The film about the origins of this bloody thing that nibbles and  gobbles away at my sweet, precious time (Christ, I'm not going to be here forever you know). Mark Zuckerburg created the social networking phenomenon and is now the world's youngest billionaire. This movie alleges that he may have been inspired from some of his fellow Harvard students. Two lawsuits are structured into the film, one resulting from the above mentioned bitter students and the other, his former buddy and co-creator Eduardo Saverin, who was stiffed. There has understandably been dispute as to the version of events played out in this film. The real Zuckerburg has stated that it is almost entirely fictitious and then obviously there are those who disagree. Whatever. To be honest I don't care whether Zuckerburg is the nasty, socially backward guy that he is portrayed as in the film or who's entitled to the Facebook fortune. All films based on real events take liberties to tell a good story and often that's a problem but if it's about the origins of Facebook and some now obscenely rich computer jocks, I can live with that, as the long as the films good. And it is. As dull as the story may actually sound, the drama that unfolds surrounding this application that many of us have an unhealthy addiction to is riveting. 



David Fincher directed 'Seven' (1995), 'The Game' (1997) and 'Fight Club' (1999). Like those films this is also an atmospheric, tight, great looking picture. Jesse Eisenberg is excellent as Zuckerburg as is Andrew Garfield as Eduardo and Justin Timberlake as Napster co-founder Sean Parker.  Interestingly, the Winklevoss twins who sue Zuckerburg in the film, were played by two actors, Armie Hammer and Josh Pence. Hammer's face however was placed on Pence's body using CGI. Why did they do this? Because. It's not such a bad idea is it?
Trent Reznor and Aticus Ross' score is surprisingly effective. I know Trent is an emotional man, I've seen him live with Nine Inch Nails a few times. It brings me pleasure to know he can translate his maudlin bleeps that communicate his depressing world of rotting carcasses to those who spend their lives rotting in front of a computer.
I left the cinema entertained and probably due to the enriched storyline, with only a vague insight into the origins of Facebook and the cast of character's involved but that doesn't bother me. I'm sure Zuckerburg is over it. 
Looking forward to the 'I'm Watchin' Films' film.
4/5  

7 comments:

  1. I also look forward to the "i'm watching films" film - but with Dennis Hopper gone who will play your jealous friend trying to ride the popularity of your blog?

    I still can't bring myself to watch this - this topic just makes me feel tired - this even after enjoying a film about a ballerina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack Nicholson while certainly in his twilight years would be a good choice and no doubt keen to be involved. I guess Colin Farrell or Chevy Chase would be the obvious options for me.
    Black Swan gets the thumbs up huh. I'll probably try and catch it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your "rotting carcass" analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danny DeVito could be another apt option to portray your likeness Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.theawl.com/2011/01/the-social-network-is-a-pack-of-lies-that-conveys-nothing-about-our-time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm interesting but like I said about all that 'whatever'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't look like Danny DeVito, it has to be someone realistic though or JJ will post a link about how movies are rubbish and stuff.

    ReplyDelete