Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Hangover (2009)

Some guys just can't handle Phuket either

A bunch of buddies go on a Vegas bucks trip and mad shit ensues. What nostalgia this evokes for me. I've been on bucks trips, not Vegas but destinations that offer their own pot of golden mad shit possibilities. These lads wake up the day after the big night and can't find their buck, a fate yet to befall any jaunt I have been involved in fortunately.  
You're not getting anything original with this but if you're actually watching it I can't imagine you'd expect as such. I do feel like it's an opportunity missed though, there is a myriad of possibilities for such a scenario (I could offer a few stories) but instead we get the cliche tiger in the bathroom, chickens fluttering about the hotel room, a Vegas marriage and an anxious bride. It still had me guffawing at times, I guess I fit into the aimed demographic due to my above admission. What lifts this above standard boys weekend humour though is Zach Galifianakis who plays the peculiar bro in law. I have been following this unusual and temperamental fellow's work the last few years. He has had minor roles in comedies for a good few years now, appeared in television and is a popular stand up. It was with this role that he seemed to come to the public's attention and is now frequently appearing in Hollywood productions



It's interesting to see which personalities considered weird or alternative by main stream audiences will be embraced by them. I hope the stench of some of the larger films won't stop or water down the tide of unusual output from Galifianakis or that the putrid celebrity culture doesn't result in him opening his wrists or injecting whale fat into his eyelids. I doubt it will, but if it sends him to his lair to create more troubling skits like the above video then, my god, I am all for that.
Ah yes, the film score. Very well, here it is my pasty child...
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment