Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wings of Desire (1987)

Generally speaking, when I hear about angels I feel like heaving. I'm not interested in any flight of fantasy to do with them. Winged souls aren't looking out for us from the so called heavens. Please. Still, I rented this out aware that Wim Wenders had directed a film set in Berlin about angels watching us. It is often mentioned as a classic so I thought I'd check it out having seen a couple of Wim's projects and being keen to investigate more.
I've only seen Bruno Ganz in a few pictures, as Hitler in Downfall the most notable, but he's always pretty amazing. He plays Damiel, an angel who wanders Berlin with his buddy angel Cassiel watching the humans and listening to their thoughts, good and bad and perhaps offering hope to those in need. You hear trains of thought that creep through people's brains, questions about life 'why am I here and not there?' and other such meanderings. Damiel starts to yearn for the experiences that a human has, the taste of coffee, the passing of time etc. When he falls for a young trapeze artist, that's it, he becomes human and gives up angel life which understandably must become a chore after a while, especially all eternity.
Peter Falk appears as himself, shooting a film in Berlin and senses the presence of the angels.  That bloke just seems as though he'd be great to have around. Nick Cave's scene with the Bad Seed's belting out a number in a majestic east Berlin club is entirely suitable.




Shot in a sepia tone from the angels view and occasional sequences of color when away from their attention, Henri Alekan come out of retirement at 78 to shoot this and a top job the old fella did too. He was a stalwart of German film having been cinematographer on 71 films and working with Wenders twice. Upon his death Wenders wrote some touching words about the old rascal.
Wenders has been making films since the 70's, one of his first being 'The Goalkeeper's Fear of the Penalty' (1972), about a keeper letting in a goal, getting red carded, meeting a girl that night and then strangling her. He then wanders about Germany seemingly indifferent to his capture. Intriguing eh? I have seen a few Wenders films and have yet to get too excited about anything I've seen but perhaps starting at the beginning is a good idea.
As for Wings of Desire, it's a ponderous film that takes it time to tell a tale. Originally it was intended to be an observation of Berlin and that is still there. I imagine this would have looked amazing at the cinema and  I'll go see it there if I get the chance. I guess my damning prejudice of all things angels has diminished just a little as well.
3.5/5

5 comments:

  1. Haven't seen this but have seen the scene featuring the late, great Rowland S. Howard. Will track down

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, didn't expect this to be scored so lowly DB? You didn't like 'The American Friend' or 'Paris Texas'?

    I expect this version of the film is better than the remake 'City of Angels' with Nick Cave and Meg Ryan but it still did have a bit of a hollywood ending, for me one of its weak points - someone told me the sequel is a little darker.

    And is it just me or did this totally inspire some of the imagery and concepts in the U2 filmclip for All I want is you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it although it got a little tedious. I'm looking forward to seeing it again one day, I anticipate I'll enjoy it more knowing what to expect. I saw both those other films you mentioned along time ago and don't have any special memories of them, I'll have to see them again.
    The sequel 'Faraway, So Close!' (1993) is generally not considered to be a great film but it would be interesting, sure. Big old Lou Reed appears in it too.
    RocknRoll is a big influence on Wenders. He's shot videos for U2 and used their music. Bono even cowrote 'The Million Dollar Hotel' (2000) which Wenders directed and is generally considered a mess. He also directed 'Buena Vista Social Club' (1998). That Nick Cave scene is great in Wings.
    U2's 'All I Want Is You' certainly looks inspired by the film.
    I don't want to see the Nick Cage film or anything with Meg Ryan in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Allan you will find that it is U2's videoclip of their song "Stay(Far away, so close) that is based on the sequel to "Wings of Desire" The music video for the song, directed by Wenders and Mark Neale[3], features the Statue of Victoria, the golden monument that sits atop the Berlin Victory Column, and is heavily based on the film from which it takes its name, as it includes images taken directly from the film (some just recreated) and shows angels falling to Earth. German avant-garde artist Meret Becker, stepdaughter of the movie's lead Otto Sander, portrays the female singer. Berlin band Rude Angels perform as her backing band.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah - I do remember that film clip and the reuse of the statues but I definitely still mean "All I want is you" - I don't doubt U2 have a bit of a fascination with this film and although perhaps not using such obvious recreation of scenes I find this clip to be heavy influenced.

    On a superficial level the trapeze artist who becomes the object of love, similarities in the portrayal of her - that feeling of unobtainable love and of course flying dwarf helps :)

    ReplyDelete