Friday, February 11, 2011

Master With Cracked Fingers (1979)

On a slow afternoon I decided to watch a title from what I will now refer to as my 'Jugger 20 Pack'. Without knowing anything about this film I pressed play on the DVD player. Feelings of confusion, bemusement and amusement ensued. Here's why friend...
Straight away I realised this is one of those movies that some modern day filmmakers try to emulate tongue in cheek. Fast close ups into the eyes of a deadly serious and rake thin warrior, slow motion kicks of clay pots filled with doves, edits that leave you disoriented and so on. I wanted more.
An impetuous child, Jacky, wants to learn kung fu but his pa will not allow it. On the sly he begs a creepy old drunk 'The man who isn't there', a master of the ancient art to teach him. Jacky continues training into his adulthood and becomes a kung fu hotshot. While working at a restaurant he crosses path with a local gang of extortionists and a feud develops. Jacky finds out they are responsible for his father's death and a duel with the boss ensues.
The first part of the film involving child Jacky was pretty entertaining. There's a great scene where old drunky is training the kid by making him squat over a bowl of fire with an egg between his legs. A chicken leg is dangled in front of Jacky and he is beaten on the head from time to time. Great stuff. My copy of this was subtitled (terribly) but apparently most copies you would come across have been dubbed using ridiculous American and English accents. 




The dizzying array of unconventional edits and what seemed unrelated material continued throughout. The colouring of the actual film in certain scenes appeared stained and stand in actors looked to be popping in for the old man and Jacky. What was going on? My confusion was briefly suspended as I entered a state of bewilderment, my jaw agape as I witnessed a bizarre scene which involves a camp crook utilising majong style kung fu and Pop Eye references against the drunk in a feat of wits. I dare you to watch this, notice how deftly Jacky is brushed aside.




The randomness continued throughout. The desire to press stop on the DVD was only halted by my desire to see what other craziness awaited. The final battle scene is a prolonged affair that starts on the wharf against a dozen cronies and ends with Jacky blindfolded and battling the big boss. As the boss tumbles over a cliff the film abruptly ends, no credits. 
I commenced my research, certain there must be some explanation to this films existence. The first thing I was surprised to learn was I had been watching a young Jackie Chan, only 17 when he shot this film known as 'Cub Tiger From Kwang Tung'. I'm sorry I did not recognise you Jackie. I have read conflicting accounts but apparently this original film was not entirely completed although it was still released in 1971. Chan went on to star in several other martial art films in the 70s such as 'Drunken Master' (1978) and the rights were purchased of Cub Tiger by some opportunist. Extra scenes were shot without Chan including the above majong scene which explains Jacky's quick exit as well as the final scene in which he fights blindfolded, an attempt to disguise the stand in actor. I believe the old drunk though when he yelled, "Don't take off the blindfold Jacky! You won't be able to beat him without it!'. Scenes from other Chan films were also used as filler.


Despite suffering near crippling alcoholism,
this man remains a powerful kung fu master


Apparently Chan has disowned this movie and I can't blame him. Despite the entertainment I got from this I was mostly amused for all the wrong reasons, and it was also a grueling test of stamina. Horrible editing and acting throughout and the original film was obviously in quite poor condition resulting in an ugly transfer. This is the sort of thing they should be playing at cult film nights at the pub or cinema not rancid shit like 'Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus'. For best results this should be viewed with buddies, beer and chicken legs. 
1.5/5

3 comments:

  1. hmmm ...might give this a miss! congratulations on persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally a film scores below 3 - by the looks still well overrated at 1.5 however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It had it's redeeming features, such as the asian Chris Farley. Bewilderment is always an interesting state to be in as well.

    ReplyDelete