Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Nosferatu: A Symphony Horror (1922) Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

Like the great unclean, gorging on a maiden's throat, I have been busy feasting on these bloodless delights. Based on Bram Stoker's Dracula novel, but not holding the rights, the original 1922 film became Nosferatu and makes several mutations from the source material. Directed by German director F.W.Murnau, it is a gem from the silent era. Max Shrek is an outstanding beast of the night; his pallid skin and maw-like eyes are engrossingly detestable. The vintage of the film has rendered it an eerie/comical spectacle, which to be fair, results in good entertainment. Despite these ageist jabs, the film is technically quite excellent for its' time. I was a little confused with the bright lighting for night scenes though, it appeared often to be high noon, not so good for a vampire eh? The score that accompanied the version I saw was a pretty trashy one, so I'd like to see it again partnered with a grander rendition. But what I'd really like to see now, is one of these live full orchestra shindigs playing to the film. Ah, it'd be a thing I'm sure. This really has to be the oldest film I have sat through in entirety. I'm always hearing about the wealth of great films from the old silent days, but shiiiiit, I'm just accustomed to my talkies. Still, I doff my cap to a treasure from another era.   
3.5/5



Herzog and Kinski; the mad bastards ride again. I've covered a few of their intrepid forays now, and this homage to the original was a welcome addition. Kinski is perfect as Nosferatu, a sad and sinister creature well past his majestic days of devouring any woman he pleased. One of the highlights of Nosferatu the Vampyre was becoming acquainted with a little French fellow by the name of Roland Topor. His role as the cackling, delirious, underling Renfield, is worth seeing this film for alone. He sprayed his artistic endeavours across many disciplines, his illustrations in particular caught my jaundiced eye. Topor also authored The Tenant (1966) which Roman Polanski adapted for the screen in 1976, a psychological terror trip into urban living. I shall see it, read it even. Topor also chanced his arm at screen writing; Marquis (1989) features a bizarre combination of puppetry and live action to tell the tale of Marquis De Sade and his chatty penis. This has bolted to the top of my 'must see' list of films.
Herzog has a done a good job, the European landscapes and townships evoke a fairytale feel and the acting is great. A young Bruno Ganz as Harker, is bold in the face of such a menacing curiosity. There are less typical Herzog moments but they're still evident at times.  The story blends scenes of the original Nosferatu film with the Dracula tale which works well indeed.
Well done boys, another good collaboration. Only Woyzeck (1976) to see now.
4/5 

Shadow of the Vampire is an affectionate tale about the making of the original Nosferatu and the concept that Max Shrek was in fact a vampire. A lot of fun is had with the premise and the cast is brilliant. The mighty Willem Dafoe delivers an excellent turn as an uncooperative lead bloodsucker and John Malkovich as Murnau, the director who's cast is an expendable meal ticket (literally), is intense as expected. Other notable appearances include Eddie Izzard, Cary Elwes, and your favourite actor Udo Kier. The tone wanders at times from playful to dark, and events are a little choppy but it's just such a great homage that little of that matters. I first watched this years ago and loved it, seeing it again pushed me to see Herzog's film and then the original. I think this is a good sequence to see them in if struggling with such an old film as the original is a worry. There were so many references to check in each subsequent film that I was champing at the bit, I tell you. A personal favourite this one.
4/5

2 comments:

  1. whoah triple bomb! I've never seen such a thing. You must have seen Shadow of the Vampire at least 3 times yeah? I recall watching it with you while sleeping on your couch in Annandale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've probably seen it about 5 times though it's been approx. 3 years since the last. I only recently got it back after Nickau borrowed it on a long-term lend. I've pushed in onto many people, the old man has it at the moment. I really think it's excellent, 4/5...

    ReplyDelete