Monday, December 20, 2010

Predators (2010)

I said I was going to watch Predators in my last post but I just meant I was going to watch some trash. Well, surprisingly, I actually went out and hired it, much to my lady's disgust. Holy shit but did I love the original 'Predator' (1987). I'm guessing I must have seen it at least 10 times as a teenager as my unstable testosterone levels were surging. Looking back at Arnie's filmography, I was a fan between 'The Terminator' (1984) and 'T2' (1991) years. 'Commando' (1985), 'The Running Man' (1987) and 'Total Recall' (1990) all appealed to my pubescent blood lust and I still hold them in fond regards. Ahhh, good times.


Needs to be seen at least 8 times.

I placated my lady by pointing out that Predators is a Robert Rodriquez film but actually, he only produced (I knew that). It borrows heavily from the original film, jungle setting, bunch of hard dudes with big guns and some of the actual dialogue and scenes seemed very similar, perhaps they were paying homage. Crap only knows. So not a lot of originality going on here but what about cool shit? Predator vs Yakuza isn't a scenario I've ever envisioned happening but it was damn good, I certainly should have envisioned it! Predator vs Predator was a highlight too, seeing one deliver a vicious knee to another in the head from 3 angles was a lovely touch, brought a tear to my eye. Beyond that however there isn't too much to get excited about. It's a bit of a laugh seeing Adrian Brody run around in mud, slapping monsters in the face but overall this is fairly ordinary fare even though I appreciated the insight into the feud between the different Predator breeds. I'd say watch it if you're a Predator fan but otherwise seek out some classic Arnie, 'Raw Deal' (1986) perhaps. 
2.5/5
On Tuesday night I am planning on watching a stinking pile of trash that will make Predators look like classic Kurosawa so stay tuned my little mud larks!


4 comments:

  1. 2.5! Very generous there DB. I must admit i watched this when the wife and kids were out one time.
    I was confused about Topher Grace and his character, he seemed to stand out like a sore thumb.

    Enjoyed it as a predator film, cant really give too much more credit than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I admit I was a little generous. I have a soft spot for the Predator series and judged it as a fan so I guess it's not really that good a score in that context.
    Have you seen the Alien vs Predator movies? I saw the first one and it was bile. I'd watch the second one if someone had a single redeeming word to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll check it out some time old mate. Reminds me of this bizarre Japanese movie I watched a couple of months ago, 'Big Man Japan' (2007).
    Certainly kept me amused for an evening.

    ReplyDelete