Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Christmas Carol (2009)

This is me in about ten years

I'm a bit of a sucker for Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol and it's film adaptions. As an embryonic being I enjoyed Mickey's A Christmas Carol (1983) and gurgled compliantly as a teen to The Muppet's Christmas Carol (1994). Then there was Bill Murray in that modern, screwball yarn Scrooged (1988). Damn it that was good. Although it's waned somewhat over the years I do still get a warm glow in the belly from sentimental and gooey Christmas capers and Disney's latest addition delivers in dollop loads. Jim Carey voices Ebeneezer Scrooge in animated fashion without drawing attention to the fact it is Jim Carey. Unusual for him yes? The detail in the animation is rad. Look at old Scroogey's face above. Genius work. Originally a 3D feature there are some passages obviously intended to wow that viewing audience but watching it on bog standard 2D at home makes it seem an obvious superfluous effect. 
I could understand people not liking the characters which border on creepy at times. The humans that is, not the ghosts. Despite a strangely odd detached feeling from reality I am happy to add this film to the list of A Christmas Carol classics. That doesn't make it a classic film but it's still a nice accolade for it yes? My oath it is.
4/5

Are there any other worthy A Christmas Carol themed films I should see? Tell me!

 

2 comments: